Some of the following include Amazon affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase, I’ll receive a percentage of that sale at no cost to you. All thoughts and opinions are my own. For a full disclosure statement see my About page.
I know I’ve talked about self-care before, but I’d just like to suggest taking yourself out to lunch with a friend and giving yourself a pedicure with a classic red nail polish (I chose Come to Bed Red by Butter London). I feel like a million bucks in comparison to how I started out this week. Read a chapter in your current book, paint your nails, take a walk alone to clear your head. Do one thing for yourself, and yourself only, as my friend Maggie says. Ignore the dishes and the laundry, chores can wait.
For your reading pleasure:
- Returning to Work from Invented Charm: Thanks for your support as I slowly plug this piece. It’s really scary to put yourself out there. I plan to continue writing about my experience in a series of posts.
- The State of the Domestic Goddess from Eater: Even if you’re not interested in ascetic cookery or flamboyant decadence, this review still makes good entertainment.
- McDonaldization and the Future of Fast Food from Lucky Peach: Who isn’t fascinated by the history of food, particularly fast food? Reading about this brought back memories of Mad Men when Peggy was working on the Burger Chef account.
- WTF Barney’s from The Jungalow: Justina Blakeney is super fab and rocks it in everything she wears, IMHO.
- Why & How to Stop Comparing Yourself to Others from Very Erin: When I’m in a funk, it’s super easy to beat myself up by doing the comparison game. Here are some reminders to get you to stop that destructive behavior.
I did great again this week limiting my TV time. I think it’s going to get harder and harder though now that some of my faves are coming back!
- Get caught up on Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime. Season 2 starts soon. I’m not the only one with a crush on Rami Malek. TBH I also love Carly Chaikin.
- Halt and Catch Fire is also coming back later this summer for a third season (YAY!). Season 2 is available on Netflix. I started watching for Lee Pace, I stayed for Kerry Bishé and Mackenzie Davis.
Last weekend I got to catch up with family at a birthday gathering in LA. Afterward, we took a spur of the moment trip to Ikea and then ate dinner at Shake Shack in West Hollywood. I didn’t even realize they’d opened up a location in California! It was awesome to get away for the day and do something totally spontaneous. I hope you’re all making the most out of the summer too! Drink Rosé, eat stone fruits, plan a day trip somewhere local, get out there and enjoy the season. Happy 4th!